Solomon Baganja & Mabel Nansubuga vs Henley Property Developers Ltd-Commercial Court-HCCS No 47 of 2012
FIRM PROFILE OF M/S KYEYUNE, KASEKENDE LEGAL CONSULTANTS & ADVOCATES:
Plot 33 Lumumba Avenue, 6th Floor Interservice Tower, P. O. Box 31251, KAMPALA.
A. About the Firm:
Kyeyune, Kasekende Legal Consultants & Advocates (hereinafter referred to as “KKL Advocates”) is a Ugandan law firm based in the capital city, Kampala. KKL Advocates commenced in July 2007 and is composed of Advocates and Lawyers from diverse backgrounds; the Law Firm is fast distinguishing itself as one offering reliable and practical legal solutions for today and tomorrow, to the wide range of clients.
OUR VISION: Is to be a leading provider of practical, excellent, professional legal and consultancy services in Uganda and the world at large.
OUR MISSION: Is to offer professional, practical solutions, accurate and prudent legal advice to promote our clients’ business growth and also reward to the Firm.
B. Why KKL Advocates?
Our Advocates and Lawyers have a wealth of experience in Commercial Transactions, Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms. We specialize in the fields of Corporate and Commercial Law with particular expertise in Banking and Finance, Perfection of Securities, Construction Law and Real Estate. We have been consistently ranked as a leading commercial law practice amongst our peers in Uganda. We have represented local and multinational clients in litigation and in transactions of national and regional significance.
C. Client Service through Commitment and Dedication:
This is our core value, which differentiates us from the other Legal service providers. We have combined legal and professional skills matched with experience to effectively service client requirements. In addition, we provide timely services with confidentiality and due diligence.
D. Management and Personnel Structure:
KKL Advocates’ management and personnel structure is as follows:
Ø Edmund Kyeyune
Ø George Kasekende (Managing Partner)
Ø Faith Arinda
Ø Justine Nakintu Kabugu
Ø Edmund Kafanka Wakida (Lex Uganda Advocates & Solicitors)
Ø Christopher Bwanika (Kalenge, Bwanika, Ssawa & Company Advocates)
Ø Albert Byamugisha (J. B. Byamugisha Advocates)
4. Support Staff:
Ø Accountant: Ms. Teddy Nakaye
Ø Secretary: Ms. Helga Namuyanja
Ø Law Clerk: William Kibule
E. Our Services/Products:
Banking and Financial Services
1. General Banking and Financial Services
2. Structured Finance, Asset & Project Finance
3. Capital Markets Regulation
4. Domestic & International Lending
5. Mergers & Acquisitions
6. Document Security Registration, and
7. Insolvency & Restructuring.
Corporate and Commercial Services
1. Drafting various Agreements and Legal documents
2. Company secretarial practice
3. Corporate Governance & Compliance issues
4. Revenue and Taxation, and
5. Alternative Dispute Resolution & Litigation.
Conveyances, Property and Land Transaction Services
1. Property Development & Construction
2. Sales and acquisitions of commercial, retail, residential and industrial property, and
3. Registration of transfers, leases, charges, mortgages, debentures, caveats, etc.
1. Debt Collection and recovery
2. General liability-professional, labor issues, workmen’s compensation, third party liability claims
3. Insurer-Insured relations
4. Conduct of litigation and watching briefs in the Courts of Judicature
5. Legal Opinions.
1. Insurance Law expertise
2. Intellectual property protection
3. Media and Communication
4. Administrative practice and enforcement
5. Environmental advice and Energy & Petroleum Law expertise
6. Employment and Labor advice
7. Trainings to Employer’s employees
8. International Law and Human Rights and
9. Private client work such as Wills, Probate and Administration
10. Unsolicited advice on new legislation and cases affecting the Employers line of work
11. Interview and Recruitment of Staff/Human Resource Services
12. Any other services that may be incidental or ancillary to the provision of the above services.
F. Partner’s Profiles:
He holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) degree from Nagpur University, College of Law, India and a Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Center, Kampala, Uganda.
He is a founding Managing Partner of PEP & Associates, now KKL Advocates. He has a wealth of experience in Litigation, Debt Collection and Recovery, Property Management, Insurance Law and Construction Disputes. He has worked as a Legal officer in both Job Potential & Property Markets Ltd and Zzimwe Construction Ltd. He draws his experience from M/s Kalenge, Bwanika, Kimuli & Company Advocates, one of the oldest and established Law Firms in Uganda, where part of his day to day assignments included debt collection, conveyances and property management.
He has successfully litigated various civil matters relating to Construction disputes, Commercial transactions, Land disputes, Human Rights and International Trade/Finance. He heads the Litigation Department of the Firm.
He is an enrolled Advocate of the High Court of Uganda and all courts subordinate thereto and also a member of the East African Law Society and Uganda Law Society.
He is a Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public.
He holds a Masters Degree in International Law & Settlement of Disputes from the University for Peace, Costa Rica, a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) degree from the University of Manchester, England, a Diploma in Legal Practice from the Inns of Court School of Law, London, England, and the Law Development Center, Kampala, Uganda.
He was a Student Trainee with Edwin Coe Solicitors, Lincoln’s Inn, London, Collisons & Co. Solicitors, Balham, London, Kasirye, Byaruhanga & Co. Advocates, Kampala and Masembe, Mugerwa & Co. Advocates (now MMAKS Advocates) and a Legal Associate with Kalenge, Bwanika, Kimuli & Company Advocates, Uganda.
In all, he has amassed a wealth of experience in Banking and Financial services, Conveyances, Property and Land Transaction Services, Debt Collection and Recovery, Oil & Gas/Mining Law, Company Secretarial and Compliance issues, Corporate Governance, Arbitration, International Law & Human Rights and general private client work such as Wills, Probate and Administration.
He is also a Company Secretary of Infra Consulting Services Limited (ICS), Kunhou Mining Group, MCB Resources Limited, ABM Mining Group, Muyenga Friends Club, among others. He is an enrolled Advocate of the High Court of Uganda and all courts subordinate thereto and also a member of the East African Law Society and Uganda Law Society.
He is a Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public.
G. Firm’s Experience/Highlights:
Ø Acting for Infra Consulting Services Limited (ICS) an international firm of Consultants based in the
United Kingdom that took over, through a Management Buy-Out, URS (formerly Scott Wilson) operations in East Africa, on various road construction projects such as the Kampala-Jinja Expressway, Kampala Southern Bypass, Kampala-Entebbe Expressway, Kampala Flyover Project, etc.
Ø Advising St. Balikuddembe Market Stalls, Space and Lock up Shops Owners Association Ltd (SSLOA) in St. Balikuddembe Market, on loan transactions to develop a modern market and facilities in the sum of an initial investment of USD.50M, rising to USD.300M. It is the largest market in Uganda developed on a 7.5 acres plot and an extra 2.2 acres for the road network around it.
Ø Advising Zzimwe Enterprises Hardware and Construction Company & Joka Investments Limited, on the potential sale of a stone quarry located in Mukono, in the sum of USD.10M to Kampala Capital City Authority.
Ø Advising Zzimwe Enterprises Hardware and Construction Company on loan transactions, including subordinations of existing loans in excess of USD.2M and rescheduling fresh loans from investors in the road construction sector in Uganda.
Ø Advised Kunhou Mining Group, a Chinese Company in the acquisition of shares in excess of USD.2M in a Ugandan mining company.
Ø Advising Lubiri High School on a financing of USD.1M for the completion of the construction of a new boarding school section in Buloba (Buloba Campus).
Ø Acting for the Uganda National Roads Authority to contest a USD.10M claim by Welt-Machinen Engineering Limited, a gold dealing Company.
Ø Acting for the Uganda National Roads Authority to contest various compensation claims from Project Affected Persons (PAPs) on various projects in Hoima, Kabale, Kampala, Mbarara, Masindi, Soroti, etc.
Ø Acting for NIKO Insurance (now Sanlam Uganda) to contest a refund claim from the Ministry of Local Government due to a financial loss of Ugx.4.2BN to Government in regard to the bungled procurement of 70,000 bicycles to be used by LC1 and parish chairpersons for government activities ahead of the 2011 presidential elections.
Ø Acting for Zzimwe Enterprises Hardware and Construction Company in a claim for Ugx.5BN against Kampala Capital City Authority for wrongful termination of various road construction projects within the Kampala Central Business District.
Ø Acting for Davis & Shirtliff (International) Limited/Group which is the leading supplier of water related equipment in the East African region in various debt collection claims in excess of Ugx.1BN.
H. Conflict of Interest:
It is the policy of KKL Advocates that all Partners, employees and staff avoid any conflict between their interests and those of the Firm. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that KKL Advocates’ honesty and integrity, and its reputation therefore, are not compromised. The fundamental principle guiding implementation of this policy is that no employee should have, or appear to have personal interest or relationships that conflict with the best interest of KKL Advocates.
I. Our regular clients:
- Top Finance Bank Uganda
- Prime Micro Finance/Pesa Yako Money Lenders
- St. Balikuddembe Market Stalls, Space and Lock up Shops Owners Association Ltd (SSLOA)
- Infra Consulting Services Limited (ICS) an international firm of Construction Consultants based in the United Kingdom
- Kunhou Mining Group, MCB Resources Limited & ABM Mining Group
- Uganda National Roads Authority
- NIKO Insurance Uganda/Lion Assurance Company Limited (now Sanlam General Insurance Limited)
- UAP Insurance (U) Limited
- A-Plus Funeral Management
- Davis & Shirtliff (International) Limited/Group
- Zzimwe Construction Company Limited
- Lubmarks Investments & Construction Limited
- The Village Point Construction Limited
- Bageine & Company Limited
- Lubiri High School
- Riverside Investments Limited
- ICT Solutions Limited
- ICT Consults Limited
- Sampar Consulting Engineers Limited
- A+ Project Management Limited
- C. K. Associates Limited
- Jambo Roses Limited
- Mushroom Group of Companies
- Jimbro Enterprises
- Rhino Athletics Club
- WASART African Youth Movement
- Sejoka Motor Services
- Superior Printers & Stationers
- Mobile Computers Limited
- Prime Impex 2001 Limited